Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Insecure Writer’s Support Group (Sept)

The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. On this day we post about our thoughts, our doubts, and the fears we have conquered. We discuss our struggles and triumphs, and offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling.

Every post opens with a question (a blogging prompt, if you will), and this month's is: Have you ever surprised yourself with your writing? (For example, by trying a new genre you didn't think you'd be comfortable in?)

As it so happens, I am in the midst of surprising myself right now, adapting an old horror story into a much darker, much more edgy erotic horror story. It is something I do not think I would have had the nerve to try were it not for all the positive feedback I have received this year, but I have been pleasantly surprised by how well it worked out.

The story has a far better ending, owing to the addition of the erotic elements, and there is a complete character arc now as well. I was never quite happy with the way she ended things in the original horror draft, but this feels . . . well, it just feels right. One last round of editing and it should be good to go.

1 comment: